Friday 19 February 2010

Colporter


If you've been following me on Twitter you'll already be familiar with Colporter, a new online home interiors shop based in London. If you haven't, lend me your ear and I'll tell you about their interesting stock of salvaged and vintage items and their desire to offer an alternative to the "extortionate prices and poor reproductions" so often seen in the market. The team at Colporter are "unashamed francophiles" and have scoured French fleamarkets, brocantes and trade and antiques fairs to find pieces with a certain je ne sais quoi to fill their store.

Colporter isn't just another French interiors shop though. I think that's why I find this shop so appealing, being an English woman living in France. There's a nice mix of traditional British (love the Hovis and Whitworths' flour adverts and the Railway notices) and mainland European finds waiting for you (gorgeous Hungarian grain sacks and framed Italian opera scores) , with Routemaster signs displayed alongside vintage French glass domes. J'aime!

If I had to choose just one item from this new shop, which is apparently looking for London premises to open a real bricks and mortar store too, it would be one of these fun retro heraldic needlepoint cushions with slogans straight from the Imperial War Museum archives. How about you?




(via)

2 comments:

  1. thank you for that insight... really great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh - oh! time to buy a ticket. did you say they have a website? need to know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!